1 United States painter (born in England) of portraits and historical scenes (1783-1872) [syn: Thomas Sully]
1 place under suspicion or cast doubt upon; "sully someone's reputation" [syn: defile, corrupt, taint, cloud]
2 make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically; "The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"; "Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man" [syn: tarnish, stain, maculate, defile]
3 charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone; "The journalists have defamed me!" "The article in the paper sullied my reputation" [syn: defame, slander, smirch, asperse, denigrate, calumniate, smear, besmirch]
- Rhymes: -ʌli
Sully can refer to:
- Hugh the Red of Sully 13th Century Sicilian General
- Bishop Maurice de Sully; oversaw the building of Notre Dame de Paris; Bishop to Philippe II of France
- Maximilien de Béthune, duc de Sully (1560-1641), French statesman and minister of Henry IV
- Sully Erna, the lead vocalist of Godsmack
- Sandra Sully
- James Sully
- Thomas Sully (1783–1872), an American (English-born) painter
- Sully Prudhomme
- Eugene Sully was a contestant and runner up in Big Brother Series 6, UK
- Lawrence Sullivan Ross
Sully is the name or part of the name of several communes in France:
- The band Sully
- Sully is the name of a major male character in the 1990s American television drama Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
- Sully is a character from Jungle Jam and Friends: The Radio Show!.
- Sully is a character in the Sesame Street comedy team Sully and Biff.
- Sully is also the nickname of John 'Sully' Sullivan, a character from Third Watch.
- Sully is the nickname of James P. Sullivan, a character from Pixar's Movie Monsters Inc..
- Sully is a character in the 1985 film Commando starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Sully, the name given to Lance Bean in the American localization of Contra III: The Alien Wars.
- Sully [v] can also mean to dirty.
sully in German: Sully
sully in Spanish: Sully
sully in French: Sully
sully in Italian: Sully
sully in Dutch: Sully
sully in Polish: Sully
abuse, attaint, bedaub, befoul, benasty, besmear, besmirch, besmutch, besoil, bespatter, betray, black, blacken, blemish, blot, blow upon, brand, call names, censure, contaminate, corrupt, daub, debauch, deceive, defame, defile, deflower, demoralize, denigrate, despoil, destroy, dirty, disapprove, discolor, disgrace, disparage, engage in personalities, expose, expose to infamy, force, foul, gibbet, hang in effigy, heap dirt upon, infect, lead astray, mar, mess, mess up, mislead, muckrake, nasty, pillory, pollute, rape, ravage, ravish, reprimand, revile, ruin, seduce, shame, slubber, slur, smear, smirch, smouch, smudge, smut, smutch, soil, spoil, spot, stain, stigmatize, taint, tar, tarnish, throw mud at, vilify, violate, vitiate, wreck